Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 13:17:37 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dale Wharton <dwharton@alcor.concordia.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cheapest laptop for FreeBSD?

[following up on FreeBSD-questions]

On Tuesday,  1 August 2000 at 22:28:01 -0400, Dale Wharton wrote:
> I bought the 3rd edition of THE COMPLETE FREEBSD by Greg Lehey,

... which suggests (on page 15) that you'll get help from
FreeBSD-questions.  It's right :-)

> it includes discs labeled March 2000. Now I need a computer (it
> must be portable) to run it on.
>
> The cheapest new laptop I can find hereabouts is the Compaq Presario
> 1200-XL115, whose (475 MHz) processor is the AMD-K6-2 --not
> mentioned in the book. Is it a suitable platform? If not, what is
> the cheapest portable that does support FreeBSD?

Compaq doesn't have the best reputation for compatibility.  In
general, you'll find people prefer Dell.  I don't know of any problems
with this machine myself, but others may.  The K6 isn't a problem, but
with laptops, typically display and sound hardware are sore points.

Greg