Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 07:27:11 GMT
From:      lance@advantinc.com (Lance Costanzo)
To:        isp@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        mango@staff.communique.net
Subject:   Re: Rackmounted Servers

>	I am looking into rackmounting my (freebsd running) servers.
>So, I wander what chassis people are using, what they like about it, and
>what not.
A couple of years ago, I put together a rackmounted BSDI server.
I used the Integrand 505 chassis, and an external SCSI drive box.
It wasn't cheap, close to $1K for the pair, but its industrial grade.
The company was close enough to me (Visalia, CA, USA) that I drove over there
to pick up the stuff, and got a chance to talk to the owner and take a look
at the factory.

Paul Vixie still has some info on them at his site:
  http://www.vix.com/pc-hw/integrand.html

What I liked:
  Solid,  well made (all aluminum, if I remember correctly)
  Easy to work on if you get full slides (top cover comes off)
What I didn't like:
  The 505 had to be 24" deep.  Stuck out behind the 18" deep racks.
  It weighed about 100lbs (well, at least 50)
  At the time, there wasn't a module for a half height 3-1/2" DAT drive,
  so I had to modify a floppy module.  (hacksaw, file, black paint)

Lance.

Lance Costanzo                         Advant, Inc.       1-800-824-8418
http://www.advantinc.com [/~lance]     Support Solutions for HP Systems