Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:32:42 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: harddrive woes (!)

Greg Lehey writes:
> > It has the 'low level format', of course ;).  And this error has survived
> > through that.
>
> It's not much of a low level format if it doesn't detect unrecoverable
> defects.  There's a program called bad144 which we used to use for MFM
> drives; you might like to investigate whether it can help you.

We're talking PC hardware here. Just because there is a "feature" in the
BIOS doesn't mean it works. Or even does anything.

To deal with bad blocks on IDE drives one must aquire tools from the
drive maker. Supposedly the drive will map out bad blocks when they are
going bad, before they really do. But once again, we're talking about PC
hardware, where "cheap" wins over "quality" every time.

Rather than bad144(8), badsect(8) has worked quite well for me in the
past when a no-name IDE drive contained a bad block and wouldn't fix
itself. Sneaky badsect creates a file which contains your bad sector. As
long as this file exists nobody else will try to use your bad block.

Don't think its implemented, but it would be nice if dump(1) knew about
badsect(8) and would skip these "files" automatically.