Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 17:22:50 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        itojun@itojun.org (Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Infrared ? (a simple experiment for laptop owners...)

[forwarded to -mobile since it is probably relevant there --- i was
wondering how hard would it be to implement a 'lightweight' IrDA to
enable PPP between two FreeBSD laptops]

> 	I've tried that several years before.
>
> 	If you open IR port as RS232C serial port (/dev/ttyd1), it will
> 	behave as half-duplex serial port.  The port is strictly half-duplex,
> 	that is, if machine A and B send some bytes at the same time
> 	they will collide and junk byte will be received.

actually it seems that receive is disabled while transmitting, but the
situation is no different from what you say.
What i was wondering, though, is if we could implement some quick and
dirty hack in iijppp to make it work.

Example: one side (the 'client' ppp) acts as a master, the other one as
a slave. The protocol is governed by the master, and the slave can only
send a packet right after a pkt coming from the master.

The master sends empty pkts if it has nothing to send, just to trigger
to send, just to keep the protocol up. The master will assume a failure
in the slave if a pkt is not received after a timeout (conveniently
larger than 1MSS at the link speed), and will transmit after a timeout
even if no reply is received. The slave WILL NOT send after a timeout.

This should be relatively easy to implement. Opinions ?

	cheers
	luigi