Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 15:09:48 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@picus.com>
To:        "Jim Durham" <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>, "Damon Hammis" <squirrel@hammis.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Apache+PHP3 build problems

PHP's default support for IMAP is rather crippled on FreeBSD boxes since I
first tried to use it (3.2-RELEASE?).  I've mentioned this, and gave
examples to the person (Rasmus) who maintains the IMAP support in PHP, but
he doesn't see it (presumably because he uses the build directory for IMAP
instead of the installed libs/headers).

What I've found works, is the php port (apache13-php or apache13 + mod_php3
ports).  This has always been flawless, except the one time I tried to get
IMAP working under mod_php4 (it just didn't work, and the port had other
functionality missing, so I stick with 3.0.16 for now).

For the ports, you need to get the ports collection.  See
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile (or some such) for details.  You
will need to install the cvsup-bin package (on the CDROM) in order to
complete the process.

Once you have the ports collection installed, you can simply do this for
installing everything you need:

cd /usr/ports/www/apache13 && make install clean
cd /usr/ports/www/mod_php3 && make install clean

Those 2 lines are all you need.  Everything you could want for PHP3 will be
brought in as a dependancy.

Hope this helps,

--
  Troy Settle
  Network Analyst

It's always a long day... 86400 doesn't fit into a short