Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 2010 18:47:25 +0900
From:      Stephane LAPIE <stephane.lapie@darkbsd.org>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?RGFnLUVybGluZyBTbcO4cmdyYXY=?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        "freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>, Niklas Saers <niklas@saers.com>
Subject:   Re: mpt0 and removing disks

--------------enig23276BC3D0D81716007C359D

On 09/06/2010 06:12 PM, Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav wrote:
> Stephane LAPIE <stephane.lapie@darkbsd.org> writes:
>> In my understanding, while far from perfect, mpt and SAS should be
>> working with a few unresolved SCSI/SAS quirks (that should not be THAT=

>> crippling).
>=20
> If you can provide some hints about how to fix those quirks, I (and
> Niklas) would be very grateful...  Someone mentioned "stubbing out the
> XPT_RESET_BUS, XPT_RESET_DEV, and XPT_ABORT code in mpt_cam.c"; can you=

> expand a little on that?

This is the problem : I have no actual solid experience coding anything
related to SAS/SCSI in the FreeBSD kernel, and so I just don't know how
to "fix" it myself for sure or produce anything stable.

Just so there is no misunderstanding : I am not developping for FreeBSD,
and while I have a "hacker-in-my-free-time"'s understanding, I can't
provide clear steps or explanations on what to do to obtain a perfect
result.

I didn't have the time to look into the above code (and even if I could
do this during my work hours, there is no way they would let me use this
code in production since it would be a 3rd party patch, hence making it
useless for me in a work-context), but what this certainly refers to is
: "remove the SCSI handler code for MPT controllers for these event
flags, so that the kernel doesn't mis-handle them and let the controller
sort it out on his own".

I don't have at this point a machine equipped with an MPT controller
that I can use for development purposes and build FreeBSD on, so I can't
test/elaborate any further.

Cheers.
--=20
Stephane LAPIE, EPITA SRS, Promo 2005
"Even when they have digital readouts, I can't understand them."
--MegaTokyo