Date:      Thu, 15 May 97 17:23:07 -0700
From:      "Chris G. Demetriou" <cgd@pa.dec.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@CS.Duke.EDU>
Cc:        Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha questions..

>  > No. You'll just have a heck of a lot of different PALcode versions
>  > to write. From looking at the source to MILO, it appears that they
>  > have at least six different versions of the PALcode for different
>  > machines, and a MILO compiled with any particular version will only
>  > work on matching machines, nothing else.
>
> Right.  *Exactly* like SRM.  There's a unique version of the SRM console
> for all the machines it supports, partially because each machine
> requires a different version of the OSF Palcode.

Yup.  The question is who maintains them.

>  > Whereas, if you use the
>  > OSF1 PALcode, you have to go to the effort of duplicating PALcode
>  > only on those machines that don't support OSF1 PALcode at all,
>  > rather than all new Alpha machines.
>
> I think the PALcode included in Milo was obtained directly from
> Digital by Milo's author.  From looking at the copyright's & RCS id's
> on it, it would appear to really be the OSF palcode.

The PALcode in Milo is, as far as i know, the same code (or similar to
the code) that's in the EBSDK.

Let me repeat again:

The PALcode interfaces provided by Milo are vitally, functionally
different on several platforms from the interfaces provided by the SRM
console on those platforms.

> As far as I can tell, Digital UNIX, NetBSD, and Linux all use the OSF
> PALcode.  NT appears to use its own, which has probably been munged
> somehow for use by a 32-bit OS.

Digital UNIX and NetBSD use the same PALcode interfaces.

Linux uses slightly different ones, on some systems (a subset of those
used by NetBSD/DU).

It's worth noting that (last i heard), Linux cannot 'reboot' if booted
from the SRM console.  At least from where I stand, that's a bug...

chris