Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 11:35:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/vi Makefile

> I think, most people will end up with the full set of binaries anyway.
> Only people with 100 MB or smaller disks will think about the bloat.
> At a time where you can't even buy a disk smaller than 1 GB, we should
> probably not waste too much energy in too much splitting.

The IBM systems sold for ~$400 as nonames in Computer Shopper come with
60MB drives.

They are interesting for running FreeBSD because:

o	They have barely enough memory to do it
o	They have IR interfaces
o	They have cheap GPS add-ons

A small box with small memory (power requirements) is good for lots
of things, especially with an IR interface.

As an example, I have a close relative whi has suffered from ischemia
in the region of the Hypothalamus/pons.  As a result, there is an
impairment of the short-to-long-term memory commit mechanism.  This
makes it difficult to remember things, such as "when do I take my
medication?".

By carrying around a PDA-level device (ie: ~60M drive) with an IR link,
they can be reminded of ">BEEP< ...take the blue pill now" type things.
The IR link lets them get a schedule download of "to do today" items
when they bring the PDA home (">BEEP< ...plug in the PDA for recharging
and schedule download -- it's time for bed").  Scheduled things like
">BEEP< ...time to do laundry", etc..

A small power consumption system with high capability and single
application fault tolerance (ie: not Windows 95, DOS, or other
non-protected mode OS) is the difference between a functional person
and someone who needs to be warehoused in a nursing home.

There is significant benefit to a small "minimal system" that fits in
a small amount of storage and still has room for a few applications.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---