Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 16:30:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

>>But this childish crap about "I'm only donating if you do XXX with
>>my money" is dumb.
>
>No, that's an ultimatum and I never proposed that.  I proposed that I
>have a vote.

I think your proposal was a bit stronger than that.

>My vote would be collected with all the other votes and
>the collective vote would determine the funded projects.  If my
>project does survive the vote, I accept that as part of the voting
>process, without asking for my money back.

This isn't what I remember hearing at all.  It's starting to sound vaguely
like the vote-tokens of yesteryear, which drowned in nearly the same
level of fury.

>My point is that work funded from a large budget should be determined
>by the donors, not Jordan or other members of the core team.  That's
>the purpose of a vote.  If Jordan and other members of the core team
>don't like that model, I expect to see other movements which do.

Jordan doesn't like the model.  From what I can tell, nobody in -core
likes the model.  Nate doesn't like it, neither do I.  Mike Smith proposed
a much better model;  mail him your check and he'll give you as much time
as he can.

Brian