Date:      Thu, 7 Apr 2016 08:36:11 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chuck Tuffli <chuck@tuffli.net>
Cc:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: teach pkg about rpm's?

--UJEqbsikIZBgizPR

On Sun, Apr 03, 2016 at 06:17:16AM -0700, Chuck Tuffli wrote:
> Hi
>=20
> Has adding the ability to install RPM's via pkg been discussed before?
> Does it make sense to add this or is it better to leave this
> functionality to something like archivers/rpm4? If so, I have some
> time and the motivation to implement this and would appreciate any
> guidance / pointers that people would be willing to share.
>=20

It has been discussed, there was even some summer of code about it.

It is a feature we would like to see in (but specially crafter) as it would
allow to remove most of the linux ports from the ports tree and we could te=
ll
the users to simply add a special linux.conf repoconfiguration pointing to =
a yum
repository to handle the /compat

Unfortunatetly those summer of code did not reach the point to be integrate=
d.
And I have very little time to work on this feature myself

Best regards,
Bapt

--UJEqbsikIZBgizPR

--UJEqbsikIZBgizPR--