Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 22:53:12 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buffer overrun on download

> When I tried to install the package, I got a lot of error messages saying
> various files "don't really exist."  Anybody think this had to do with a
> communications problem, e.g. the buffer overruns?  Could the size of the
> file (about 13mb) have anything to do with this, or the default speed
> (115200) of my ppp connection?

No, this is actually a bug with pkg_add and really really large
packages like xemacs.  If you hold off on trying to install the xemacs
package for now and simply get ahold of some 2.1-stable sources (see
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/stable.html) for, at the minimum,
/usr/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install it will fix these problems.

Sorry, I'd have liked to have had this fix be in 2.1.7 but it would
have meant re-rolling and replacing the entire bindist for the existing
distribution. :-(

					Jordan