Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 1996 20:42:55 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: We need to do another XFree86 release for -current someday soon..

: I didn't complain about libraries because I was unaware that this would
: cause a library change, rather than an alloable parameter change to
: some system calls (I assumed the interface was parametric).

I also didn't complain because quite frankly there was too much
flamage over the topic and I missed the "we gotta bump libc.so to 3.0"
part of the discussions at the time.  I don't like flamage, so I tend
to stop reading those threads, or similar sounding ones.  It was also
stated that no one is using this code, so that no one will be impacted
by its removal.  However, now everyone either has to keep multiple
copies of libc around the disk and memory of their machines, or
recompile everything.  That hardly sounds like "nobody" to me.

Saying we're a month too late, especially when the original discussion
took place the way it did is somewhat unfortunate.  While I understand
that it has been a while, at least listen to the people that want just
stubs and engage them in a reasonable debate.  Any change can be
backed out, or a new change written so that we don't need to bump the
major rev.

If there are *OTHER* reasons or plans that will require a major rev
bump, please let communicate that fact.  If that is indeed the plans,
then there is no reason to continue this debate, since we gotta do it.

Sorry if I'm sounding a little hot under the collar, but it really
upsets me when reasonable things are requested, and unreasonable
answers come back sounding like "Oh, you should have said something
during the Terry vs the world flame fest.  It is too late now.  You
lose.  Stop bothing us and get lost."

Warner