Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:49:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, freebsd-chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: getting rid of windows...

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Brett Taylor wrote:

>For MPEG movies, I've previously used mpeg_play for video - it doesn't do
>audio however.  I've since downloaded and tried mtv (under Linux

Might check this out...

>For MP3s I use mpg123 and usually play them under gqmpeg.  Works fine w/
>me.

For music i prefer to use my stereo...or discman... so this really
isn't a problem for me.

>WAV files I use splay although you can just cat them to /dev/audio.
>splay can also do mp1 and mp2.

The problem i had here was catting to /dev/audio slowed the sample to
half speed.  Maybe splay will handle it better.

>For Quicktime movies, xanim also works fine (again barring the
>availability of CODECs).  Note that xanin can't do the latest Quicktime
>because Sorenson won't release the CODEC.

This one sounds like a winner.

>> > Games.  Enough said.

>There are more and more games for Linux that will run under compatibility.

<list snipped>

Those all sound like fun.  I was hooked to Monkey Island and the other
Lucasfilm games for a while.  I'd like to finish it, but my
brother-in-law lost one of the 2 CD-ROMs.
I'm always worried the next big game will be one i want to play... but
frankly i'm just not interested in what i have seen.

Don't forget XGalaga.  That one is a lot of fun...  ;-)

"I've done questionable things, also extraordinary things....
Revel in your time!"