Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 13:56:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        adam@veda.is (Adam David)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getty modem control

> > Talking to the modem from getty is evil.
>
> Something has to initialise it

	... set settings ...
	AT&W

> (and reassert initialisation).

	... on-to-off transition of DTR causes modem reset as
	    if powered off then back on ...

> Also it is useful to interact with the modem on RING,

	... off-to-on transition of RI ...

This is most useful if you want to hang pending an inbound call,
and *then* chat up the modem to direct the call once it is in
progress, but allow outbound connections to occur without process
contention for the port in the absence of an inbound call.

> CONNECT

	... off-to-on DCD transition ...

> and hangup events.

	... on-to-off DCD transition ...

This is not to say that having a modem *driver* capable of caching
caller ID (and called-ID) for late retrival of the data, and for
multiplexing the modem into "outgoing", "inbound data", "inbound
fax", and "inbound voice" as seperate devices so that each of the
users of the inbound device can hang pending "DCD" instead of
chatting up the modem... would not be useful.

Only that your particular arguments for a talkative getty are
invalid.  8-).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org