Date:      Mon, 04 Mar 2002 15:48:13 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Rickard Borgm ster <doktorn@realworld.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: moused and X

> Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 22:08:00 +0100
> From: Rickard Borgmäster <doktorn@realworld.nu>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Previously, I used FreeBSD 4.3 with X4. I also had moused enabled.
> Now I have upgraded to FBSD 4.5 and to latest X from ports.
>
> But if I have moused enabled in rc.conf, the pointer will just
> flicker uncontrolled around the screen when going into X mode.
>
> Also, if I enable gdm for a tty, X will not start as it cannot
> find any pointer device.
>
> I do not know what pointer device I had X using before, since
> I accidently removed my old XF86Config file :-/ Now it points to
> /dev/psm0
>
> Where should it point, when using a regular PS/2 mouse?

I'd try:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"

You will need to keep the Identifier the same as you are now using.
These strings are referenced from other parts of the config. You may
need added option lines for 3 button emulation or for a wheel.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)