Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 16:04:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   BOOTMFS, kzip, and ccdconfig

 Well.. re: the problem with the kernel and booting and installing.. I
 found that the BOOTMFS kernel does not support eisa bus... and that
 it does not build with the configuration file given.. So I fixed
 those problems.. .and built a kernel.. 2Megs+. So I find kzip and
 built it.. great.. make install... and no kzip.. hmm.. read the docs
 and the makefile and find that the shell script kzip.. does not
 exist. SIGH...

 Now I got sneaky... booted across the network... and the AIC
 controller still did not show up... grr.. sent the first mail.. Gregg
 Discenza gave me the soln.. raise FBSD's eisa slots in eisaconf.h to
 12 or so.. rebuild.. reboot.. hey it showed up!

 So then used sysinstall... no good.. tried to install on the already
 mounted across the network partitions instead of the local ones.
 Bummer. So I fdisk and disklabel using sysinstall ( This would be
 nice as a seperate program! ). and then proceed to install by hand
 like we usta do with 386bsd.

 Ok.. installation complete .. or so I think... boot up comes up..
 rebuild a kernel with all the gizmos that I want.. including ccd
 driver... and reboot.. comes right on up! yea!!..

 BUT... when I run ccdconfig I get this:

 branson@toth #ccdconfig ccd1 16 0 /dev/sd1a /dev/sd2a
 ccdconfig: ioctl (CCDIOCSET): /dev/ccd1c: Inappropriate file type or format

 Grr... both those partitons are known good... I have fdisked...
 disklabeled , newfsed and mounted them for good measure.. no
 problems... so I ktrace it and get this;

 2368 ccdconfig RET   ioctl -1 errno 79 Inappropriate file type or format

 hmm... I thin that this is related to the fact that I had to install
 by hand. I am also getting ps listings like:

branson@toth #ps
 PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
 1752  p0  S      0:00.00  (tcsh)
 2380  p0  R+     0:00.00  (ps)
 159   v0  Is+    0:00.00  (getty)

 notice that command does not have any details.. no matter what ever I
 do... same thing...

 Can one of the installation guru's please help?

  -branson

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?