Date:      Wed, 08 Apr 2009 18:27:33 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        new_guy <byte8bits@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geli on exisitng laptop

--------------enig7FCE5CF9CFBFC5373B191427

new_guy wrote:
> Hi guys,
>=20
> I'd like to use geli to whole disk encrypt a FreeBSD 7.1 laptop I alrea=
dy
> have setup. The laptop is up and working fine and I don't want to screw=
 it
> up. It have the default partition layout. I've already used geli to enc=
rypt
> the swap partition.=20
>=20
> The default partitioning at install creates / /tmp /usr and /var. I tho=
ught
> I would start with /tmp as I should be able to fix that if I mess up.=20
>=20
> Some questions...
>=20
> 1. Will each partition have to be mounted with a password?
> 2. What's the most straight-forward way to go about this without screwi=
ng
> up?
>=20
> I already have the eli module loaded in the /boot/loader.conf so I won'=
> need to re-compile, etc.
>=20

To convert a partition to geli requires you to wipe out all the contents,=

scribble over the partition with random data to get rid of any remnants o=
the unencrypted content, set up the encryption keys and then rebuild the =
file
system and recover the data from backup.

Yes, you will need to supply some sort of secret value to retrieve the=20
encrypted disk contents.  This is usually configured to mean typing in a
passphrase at the time the partition is mounted, although it is also poss=
ible
to store crypto keys on a removable medium such as  USB key -- you don't =

necessarily have to use a pass phrase in that case, although it's a good =
idea
for the most effective security.  Once the partition is mounted, you shou=
ld be
able to take the key out and put it in a safe place and still keep runnin=
g.

Depending on your requirements you can encrypt the whole drive -- which w=
hile
highly secure requires you to have crypto keys etc. on a removable medium=
 and
is a little tricky to get working properly -- or you can create a small
unencrypted partition which should contain the kernel and necessary crypt=
o bits
(ie. the contents of /boot at a minimum) and then encrypt things partitio=
n by partition.  You will have to type in a pass phrase to mount each dif=
ferent
encrypted partition -- to prevent this becoming too onerous, consider usi=
ng a
'one big partition' layout.

Also note that you should encrypt the swap partition, or someone coming i=
nto
possession of the laptop may be trivially able to recover secret data fro=
m it:
this is pretty automated and can be achieved by simply editing /etc/fstab=
change the mount device to eg. /dev/ad0s1b.eli and rebooting -- an epheme=
ral
key is used, so no typing passphrases is required in this instance.  Sett=
ing up
a swap-backed tmpmfs will then then give you an encrypted /tmp too.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3