Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 01:31:33 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
Cc:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, wollman@FreeeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new expr(1) behaviour breaks libtool

John Hay wrote:
> > > I see the new new behaviour of expr(1) requires you to add '--' if your
> > > commandline arguments might start with a '-'. This does break things
> > > a little because our old expr(1) does not understand a '--' in the
> > > beginning and the new one don't work right without it. :-(((
> >
> > I'm almost positive this issue was discussed before.  Check the follow
> > ups to the commit.
>
> The only one I could find was in -current, where Kris asked if w3m or
> expr is to blame and Garrett said w3m is to blame.

Garrett is right.  The "expr" is being called with non-POSIX
arguments by the w3c scripts.

> Hmmmm. I can understand the requirement to eat '--', but to throw a
> tantrum just because the commandline started with a '-' is a little
> too much. BTW, was the response posted somewhere? I searched through
> -standards, -commit and -current but couldn't find it. Maybe I just
> didn't ask the right question to the search engine or maybe it was
> in another list.

The correct way to handle the "continuing brokenness" is to provide
patches that will get applied to "libtool".

Also, you complaint about different versionsion of FreeBSD being
different is wrong: POSIX compliant scripts will call the command
with POSIX compliant arguments, regardless of the FreeBSD version.
Just because you can get away with it on older versions of FreeBSD
doesn't mean that the patches shouldn't be applied there, too: they
should, because it's important that the resulting scripts be
standards compliant, even if the particular version of FreeBSD you
are using has an implementation of "expr" that illegally extends
the standard.

-- Terry