Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 21:40:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/32082: true.1 totally incorrect

The following reply was made to PR docs/32082; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: 18 Nov 2001 21:34:29 -0800

 Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net> writes:

 > 	true.1 states that the appropriate return status from true is "false".
 > 	Which is clearly not the case.

 But it doesn't say that. It says it returns zero, which is correct.

 > ! It tests for the appropriate status "false" before running
 >   (or failing to run) a list of commands.

 The "It" here is confusingly referring to a Bourne shell script that
 it confusingly brings into the description.

 The whole first paragraphs, or at least the second sentences, of both
 true(1) and false(1) should be trashed, based on my quick look at it.
 Maybe moved to another section, or at least put after the real
 decription ("This command does nothing but return an exit status of X").