Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 18:59:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   bad blocks, how to fix?

My system crashed a few times today, due to a bad block,I think. I didn't
have a piece paper available  at the time, but it said something about a
interurpt timeout on wd0, error 0, and error 1 <no_dam>. Sorry for not
having the exact errors. Anyway, it appears that this happens whenever I
try to access my mail file (cat, more, pine, cp, pico). fsck finds
no errors.

Is there any hope of recovering my mail file? Perhaps just the beginning
of the file is damaged, and I can get the rest? Or should I just forget
it?

Also, is there a way to remove the file taking the bad block, and adjust
the drive map so it no longer uses that block?

Any other suggestions owuld be helpful. Thanks.

---
Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
http://www.lumiere.net/