Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 14:07:03 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, sdudley@byterunner.com
Subject:   TC-800 hi speed 8-port serial card

Hi,

I have a TC-800 8 port serial card from ByteRunner (www.byterunner.com).
It is a 16550-based card which supports shared interrupts, and has an
IRQ-status register "for UNIX compatibility and faster IRQ response".

The ByteRunner web site has a link to the serial ports section of the
FreeBSD handbook (2.1.0 version!!!) rather than explicit instructions for
installing with FreeBSD.  I already have AST/4 clones running happily on
my system.  I configured a kernel with COM_MULTIPORT and 8 ports tied
together as for the AST/4.  I added the "verbose" bit to the flags.  None
of the sio devices was recognised, and the probe failed at "test 3",
which looks like the IRQ test in sio.c.
I also tried a Bocaboard-8 kernel configuration, again to no avail.

There are two modes for the card - standard and "Unix".  The Unix mode
has an 8 byte chunk of memory mapped for and "Interrupt vector", usually,
but not always, located immediately after the port 7 address.  Sio(4) man
page does not seem to handle this other than by saying "only AST/4
control registers are handled."

Has anyone managed to get one of these cards working under FreeBSD?
At A$21 per port, they would be very nice to get going.

Thanks,

Danny

/*  Daniel O'Callaghan                                                     */
/*  HiLink Internet <http://www.hilink.com.au/>;       danny@hilink.com.au  */
/*  FreeBSD - works hard, plays hard...                 danny@freebsd.org  */