Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 17:01:50 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fetch command usage

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 10:45:10AM -0500, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
> I have been trying to ftp the 4.5-install.iso file and keep getting the
> download interrupted. I read in the questions archives about using the
> FBSD command fetch as a replacement for FTP because it has resume
> capabilities to continue the download at the spot the downloaded file
> was interrupted. The man page info is very vague about how to use the
> fetch command.
>
> I am currently using this command in a script
>
> ftp -a -v
> ftp11.FreeBSD.org:/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.5/4.5-install.iso
>
> When I modify this command to this
>
> fetch -arvAF
> ftp11.FreeBSD.org:/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.5/README
>
> I get this error message
> fetch: README: Invalid URL scheme
>
> Questions
>
> What is wrong with my fetch command?

You need to drop the colon in the URL - like this:
ftp11.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.5/README

And try again.

> Can I run all the flags together behind one -?

It seemed to work for me just now...

> Am I using the correct flags?

That depends ;-)  What are you trying to make fetch do?

> Will this group of flags work for both the original download and the resume
> download?

I tend to use wget, and am lucky enough to have a fast enough connection
I don't seem to need the resume function.  However, the -r flag seems to
be for resumed sessions.

> How does fetch know to resume a download where it left off?

-r tells it that.

Dan