Date:      Wed, 03 Sep 2008 23:00:19 -0400
From:      Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad 3.0GHz: can anybody verify?

Gary Kline wrote:
> 	Folks,
>
> 	I'm looking at a 3GHz ThinkPad w/out any OS.  It's got
> 	at most 512M memory and only 40G drive.  The guy I'm going to
> 	have upgrade this l'top thinks it will take a 160GB drive easily.
> 	Also that the RAM might max out at just 2GB.
>
> 	Any fellow TP-people onlist who know if my friend is right?

If you specify the model of the laptop, a quick Google or search on IBM
(Lenovo) website will inform you what the maximum upgrade path on
hardware is on the box.

With the resources the manufacturers put out freely regarding
documentation, I say that if you have someone who *thinks* the ThinkPad
will take certain hardware, you need to walk away, and pay someone
different who knows how to find out _for sure_ what hardware the box can
take, and who will be confident in saying and showing why if asked.

Once you have a confident hardware tech, then you will be
confident/comfortable spending your money there...

Steve