Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:49:39 +0200
From:      "Chris Knipe" <chrisk@vardus.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ipsecd

Hi all,

I'm having a major issue with ipsec the last two / three weeks... I'm
running out of ideas here, and any help will be much appreciated...

There's basically two scenarios, each one failing...

The first of which, I compile ipsec support into the kernel (FreeBSD
4.2-STABLE)
su-2.03# setkey -F
su-2.03#

But...
su-2.03# /usr/local/sbin/pipsecd
socket(SOCK_RAW): Protocol not supported
su-2.03#

If I remove ipsec support from the kernel, the exact opposite happens...
setkey -F complains about protocol not supported, while pipsec its sweet and
runs...

I am right to assume that I need both ipsec and setkey to function properly
for encrypted VPN configurations, but alas, two weeks, 24 kernel builds, and
still no avail...

Here's what's in my kernel config
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         IPSEC                   #IP security
options         IPSEC_ESP               #IP security (crypto; define w/
IPSEC)
options         IPSEC_DEBUG             #debug for IP security
options         TCP_COMPAT_42           #emulate 4.2BSD TCP bugs
options         MROUTING                # Multicast routing

<snip>
The rest isn't really relevant?

Regards,
Chris Knipe