Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 03:30:29 +0100
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Cc:        shudo@computer.com
Subject:   JVM w/ shujit fails to connect to X, java dies sig 6 or spins away w/ 99% CPU

Hi!

We've had problems to and fro lately regarding the jdk-1.2.2 not being able
to connect to the Xserver, in this case Xvfb. The JVM will either die
signal 6 or spin away forever in a loop taking up all CPU cycles it can get
its hands on.

We run the jdk with shujit, and with the latest shujit-0.7.10, I can easily
reproduce killing the jvm with simple call:

   Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit();

without shujit, it works ok (though I *have* seen problems at some time
even without shujit, but I cannot reproduce them anymore, so maybe take
that with a grain of salt...? )

I have tried a lot of things, and it seems I managed to get shujit 0.7.5
working with Xvfb at one time by rebuilding the jdk with shared linking to
open-motif instead of the static linking that is created by the java/jdk12
port by default. Sounds odd, though? It seems that, at least in our setup,
getting the JVM to connect to X is more or less a black art.

Anyone else seen this?

The system is FreeBSD 4.4-release, jdk1.2.2b10, shujit 0.7.10, tomcat and
Xvfb from XFree86-4.1.0.

Xvfb is run with these lines:

  su -m nobody -c \
"/usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb -fbdir /var/tmp -nolisten tcp -screen 0 320x200x24" & \
sleep 2; su -m nobody -c 'DISPLAY=:0.0 xhost +'

the JVM is run as same user nobody, and in its environment is DISPLAY=:0.0.

Any ideas? If you need more input, just mail me and I'll be happy to give
all the info you need.

Thanks for your time!
Palle