Date:      Wed, 01 May 2013 15:13:26 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: potential future proofing fix for aicasm build.

On 5/1/13 2:38 PM, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 09:44:54AM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> I took a shot at fixing this issue with building aicasm as part of
>> "buildkernel" of an older 9.0 src on a machine running HEAD.
>>
>> aicasm.o: In function `__getCurrentRuneLocale': >
>> /usr/include/runetype.h:96: undefined reference to `_ThreadRuneLocale'
>>
>> The issue seems to be two-fold:
>>
>> 1) Paths are not fully set to pick up the bootstrap tools needed to build.
>> 2) include files use the host's instead of the build trees.
>>
>> The first problem is fixed by changing setting of PATH from
>> "${BPATH}:${PATH}" to ${TMPPATH}.
>>
>> The second is fixed by using -nostdinc and setting strict include paths
>> using -I directives to the compiler:
>>
>> CFLAGS="-nostdinc -I${WORLDTMP}/usr/include -I. -I${KERNSRCDIR}/dev/aic7xxx/aicasm"
> This seems basically ok.
>
>> Can I get review on this patch?
> The line wrapping bugs should have been fixed before posting, but it
> otherwise looks fine.
>
> I do wonder why we don't just install aicasm in the base and bootstrap
> it in the unlikely event that it changes in an important way.  A quick
> scan of svn log suggests that gibbs fixed a bug in mid-2010 and the last
> non-build system or portability change was circa 2003 so I don't think
> we'd break old-style kernel builds at a rate worth worrying about.

It looks sort of like a shortcut was taken so that changes to the tool
can be picked up by a kernel compile instead of needing another step.
That was probably convenient at the time, but now is somewhat of a problem.

If I have time I will see about moving it to base.

Thank you for the review.  I will fix the white space and give make
universe a whirl now.

-Alfred