Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 1997 20:32:02 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   fnord0: disabled, not probed.

If memory serves me correctly, I'm actually responsible for this
often-seen boot-time message and, if so, just let me be the first to
say that I've begun to hate the stupid thing.  If I've gone and
disabled something in the userconfig menu then I *know* I disabled it
and I really don't need the driver to take up a line of valuable
scroll-back buffer space in telling me what I already know.  Were this
eliminted, the boot messages would take up about half the space they
do now and, being far more concise, would be much easier to scan for
problems.

The only conceivable counter-argument I can see concerns the psm0
entry which is disabled by default in the distributed GENERIC, it
being a plausible argument that the "psm0: disabled, not probed."
message at boot-time served as a much needed indicator of its disabled
state should the user actually want to have it enabled.  On the other
hand, I seem to recall some folks also talking about the ps/2 mouse
driver finally reaching a level of maturity where it could just be
enabled by default, and I'd rather have that happen in any case if
it's possible.  That would leave just sio2 and sio3 disabled by
default and, frankly, I think that anyone with 4 serial devices is
going to need to be fairly PC-literate anyway, certainly enough to go
check the userconfig settings whether prompted to do so or not.

So what do folks think, can I kill it?  [he said already knowing that
at least one dissenting vote will come from bde, great champion of
chatty kernels that he is. ;-)]

					Jordan