Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 11:15:35 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Tim Ayers" <tayers@bridge.com>
Subject:   Re: Perl 5.003 / 5.6 / CPAN

> I've had no problems with Perl 5.6.0 and I have not run across a
> module that doesn't install in 5.6 because of bad version checks.  If
> your fears are true, then we are in a bunch of trouble when we all
> upgrade to FreeBSD 4.3, which I believe is going to contain Perl
> 5.6.

Uhh, no.  I think perl 5.6 is in -CURRENT, but it's definitely not
in -STABLE.

> H>  - Has anyone successfully installed the ports collection version
> H>    of Perl (5.6) ?
>
> I don't think you can install Perl 5.6 from the ports. My ports tree
> is recently cvsup'ed (like 5 minutes ago) and trying to make
> /usr/ports/lang/perl5 says
>   ===>  perl-5.005 is forbidden: perl is in system.

Perhaps you should cvsup again.  markm (the perl port manintainer) built a
perl-5.6.0 port which lives in /usr/ports/lang/perl5 -- it was added within
the last two weeks.  If you attempt to install, it says:

===> perl is forbidden: perl is in system.

If you hack out that check, you can easily install perl-5.6.0.  You should
even be able to run them in parallel.  The former is in /usr/bin, the latter
is in /usr/local/bin.  Since perl's "libraries" are all prefixed by the
version number, even installing modules shouldn't trash existing modules -
provided that you take the proper precautions, such as using the right perl
to invoke CPAN.

--
Matt Emmerton