Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:04:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        sheldonh@starjuice.net
Subject:   Re: Why objcopy --strip-debug instead of strip?

In article <2342.996443542@axl.seasidesoftware.co.za>,
Sheldon Hearn  <sheldonh@starjuice.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 14:26:41 MST, John Polstra wrote:
>
> > I don't understand what this has to do with how the kernel is
> > stripped.
>
> The current modules build attached to buildkernel doesn't generate
> modules with debugging symbols, regardless of whether CONFIGARGS='-g'
> was specified.  I want to fix that.

OK, sounds good to me.  In your private mail you seemed to be asking
why only the debugging symbols are stripped from the kernel instead
of stripping all symbols.

I think the modules should be stripped the same way as the kernel:
with --strip-debug.  That way you end up with the same set of symbols
as if they were statically linked into the kernel.

John