Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 00:01:22 GMT
From:      efinley@efinley.com (Elliot Finley)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Signal 11 on su

Hello,
     I've been using FreeBSD on a PII 233 64M RAM.  I started with
2.2.5 and have cvsup'd all along to 2.2.8-stable.  This is a
production machine, and I've never had any problems.  I've even ran
some pretty strange hardware in this machine, and still no problems.

     So one of my NT-die-hard friends wants to set up a production web
server to be co-located.  I talk him into trying FBSD 2.2.8 because it
is so much better.  He buys the 4-disc set plus book from WC and
installs.  A couple of glitches during install, but no real hangups.
We get it installed and everything seems to work ok except when doing
an 'su', it signal 11's.  We try a few things...  Swap memory, etc...
Nothing seems to work.  So, being that he is well funded, he buys a
whole new box.  A PII 350, 256M RAM, 9G SCSI Fujitsu, 2940UW adaptec,
Intel ether express pro+ 10/100.  Not sure what video card.  And he
still gets a signal 11 when doing an 'su'.  Nothing else that we've
tried gives us a signal 11, not even a 'make buildworld'.

     Has anyone seen this?  What else should we try?  I'm having a
real hard time keeping him enthused about FBSD.  I have to keep
sending him little bits of news that I find that relates to how much
better FBSD is than NT (hehe).
--
     Later
        Science (efinley@efinley.com)