Date:      Fri, 03 Jul 1998 23:58:05 -0400
From:      "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, drosih@rpi.edu, wjw@surf.IAE.nl, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Variant Link implementation, continued

At 10:26 PM 7/3/98 , Mike Smith wrote:

>> > Then I'll be thinking about haveing 2 rules of resolution:
>> > 	@{....}
>> > and 	${....}
>> >

>>  I don't mean to badger... but what if you, in an existing installation,
>>  already have symlinks that contain that text?  Won't adding this
>>  facility break those existing links?
>>
>>  [And, don't laugh, but I do have links and files that begin with '$',
>>  and, even worse, have '$' embedded in the middle of them...]
>
>In the existing sample implementation, you would have to have links
>whose names comply explicitly with the syntax ...${<tag>}... where <tag>
>is a valid tag in the variant link namespace.
>
>I think that this is sufficiently unlikely given that there have been
>only two respondents that actually use '$' in names at all...

Does anybody else get the feeling we are reinventing plan9 here?

I only know what little I remember of the few plan9 papers I read, but this
does sorta seem like a solution to the problems they were having with
different architectures, and seems like a sort of hack attempt at their
directory/name space manipulations.
--------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@ChrisBowman.com