Date:      12 Apr 1996 18:50:47 +0200
From:      mikko@dynas.se (Mikko Tyolajarvi)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM vs FTP Layout (Was: Intel Endeavor install problems (639K != 640K -> SIG 11))

Following up to myself again.  Spare yourself the trouble of
bothering with this.  Looking at the source for systinstall,
and playing around with it a bit, it looks like changing the
default action on ftp error from "abort" to "retry" (and leaving the
retry count at 4), will work as intended (though I'm done installing
today).

Though sysinstall still aborts with a SIG 11 when it fails to retrieve
a file :-)

=09=09/Mikko

 ]

>>It gets
>>as far as ftp-ing the bin distribution (from a local machine with
>>a CD drive), then dies on a SIG 11.

>Here it is: FTP installation from a 2.1 CD does not work, because the
>directory layout on FTP servers (which is assumed when installing over =
FTP)
>differs from the layout on the 2.1 CD.  The CD keeps all the distributi=
on
>directories in the "dists" directory, while the FTP archives keep them
>directly under the root.  Hence the position relative to the "floppies"
>directory is not the same, and installation fails to locate files.

>A few symbolic links was one way to solve the problem, and get back to =
the
>usual installs-like-a-dream-in-less-than-15-minutes situation.

--=20
 Mikko Ty=F6l=E4j=E4rvi (mikko@dynas.se)              <Insert cheesy quo=
te here>
 DynaSoft, Dynamic Software AB