Date:      Sun, 06 Sep 1998 21:00:55 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brian Handy <handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning HD's on a TP

> [I've solved my own problem...
>
> >> I'm setting up an IBM TP560X with a relatively gargantuan 6.4GB hard drive
> >> to run Win95 and FreeBSD.
> >>
> >> My plan was to make the Win95 partition 2GB and give the rest to FreeBSD,
> >> but I seem to be bumping up against the "keep all your root partitions
> >> below the 1024 cylinder limit" problem.  In the tutorials there is talk of
> >> using an "LBA" mode under some BIOS setups.  I haven't been able to locate
> >> this animal in the startup stuff on my Thinkpad.
> >
> >Boot the FreeBSD install floppy with "-v" and when sysinstall comes up,
> >use the scrollback to look for the "BIOS geometries" message.
>
> OK, I figured out what's up.  I was starting with blank, empty hard
> drives, and sysinstall wasn't getting the geometry right.  I went in with
> MS-DOS, fdisk and format and made partitions and formatted the first one.
> Having done this, suddenly the disk geometry changed completely and I was
> able to do what I wanted to do.
>
> Interestingly...FreeBSD guessed the geometry to have something like 13,000
> cylinders on a 6.4GB HD.  When I DOS-formatted the first partition, that
> number dropped down to < 900.  :-)

FreeBSD was asking the disk for its default geometry, while the BIOS
was translating and using an alternate.  I'm right now trying to work
out a way to use the BIOS information, but there's a fundamental
problem related to mapping the BIOS drive number to a BSD major/minor
pair. 8(

> SO:  The TP's seem to have LBA in the BIOS.  (I think that's what this
> means anyway.)  Always keep your old MS-DOS floppies running around.

It's not LBA, it's probably just the EDD standard translation rules.