Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 15:10:38 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Harry Newton <harry_newton@telinco.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Failing to CVSUPdate ports

Harry Newton wrote:

> I don't seem to be able to update the ports collection by cvsup. Here
> is my cvsup file:
>
>   *default host=cvsup.uk.freebsd.org
>   *default base=/usr
>   *default prefix=/usr
>   *default release=cvs tag=.
>   *default delete use-rel-suffix
>   *default compress
>   ports-all
>
> and when I do cvsup ports_sup_file, the right hand frame of the cvsup
> window just has a message:
>
>   Updating collection ports-all/cvs
>
> and then after 30 seconds or so, the session terminates with a
> `Finished successfully' message. Nothing seems to be altered in the
> ports tree, for example, I deleted koffice:
>
>   cd /usr/ports/editors/koffice
>   rm -rf *
>
> and nothing has been replaced.
>
> What am I doing wrong ? Please mail me directly --- I'm going on
> holiday in a few days and so am not on the list at the moment.

Nothing, your port's files haven't changed. You deleted a source but
have to do a make to deal with that. The cvsup should have replaced
this structure but not any of the real source to koffice.

ruby#  cd /usr/ports/editors/koffice
ruby# ll
total 5
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1105 Aug  4 04:07 Makefile
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   996 Jul  4 15:07 README.html
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   512 Aug  4 04:07 files
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   512 Aug  4 04:07 pkg

I did a cd .. and rm -rf koffice. Then I did a cvsup to ports. I ended
up checking out the following structure, which is all that a cvsup of
ports provides.

ruby# ll
total 4
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  1047 Sep 15 14:40 Makefile
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   512 Sep 19 15:05 files
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   512 Sep 19 15:05 pkg

The html isn't there because I haven't re made it.

Kent

> --
> Harry Newton
> harry_newton@telinco.co.uk