Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 23:49:09 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        "Shin'ichiro Seto/OTESS, Inc." <mluser01@otess.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who for Apache

Shin'ichiro Seto/OTESS, Inc. wrote:

> Hi there folks,
>
> I'd like to have a private page using mod_auth of the Apache
> on a web site and find out who are visiting on the web server now.
>
> Is there any way to get active user names of the authentication?
>
> Also, I'd like to have a functionality to kill a user when I find
> a stranger.
>
> Any information will be very appreciated for me.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Hi,

If your page needs a username and password to get in - strangers aren't
going to be able to get the page anyway are they?!

If you do use the mod_auth - you will need to provide usernames and
passwords to all the people who you want to have access to your page...

If they don't have a valid username (I think you might be able to get away
with 'no password') - they won't be able to see your page either! - They
would have to know at least the username in advance...

Maybe your getting this confused with logging who's visited your site??

You can find out how to do logging, passwords & usernames - and bunch more
by going to http://www.apache.org

Regards,

Karl Pielorz