Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:21:08 +0200
From:      "Eelke Blok" <e.blok@ieee.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: partition problem

From: "john kernel" <john_kernel@usa.net>

>     this is the firt time i am using FreeBSD operating system, but while
the
> instalation, i have a problem in partition.The problem is i can't
distinguish
> between the partiiton.

[Hard drive partitioned as primary 1.5 GB Win 98, 18.5 GB Extended chopped
up in NTFS 3 GB, 3 GB reserved for FreeBSD and 12 GB for data (leaving 0.5
GB unaccounted for - extended overhead?)]

[...]

> My question is how can i make partition for FreeBSD  (like root, swap,
home,
> var) without sacrifice(damage) my other partition?

I think the space for FreeBSD needs to be outside the extended
partition. I think you should remove the space you allocated for
FreeBSD from the Extended partition using Partition Magic, and
leaving the space unused for that moment (*outside* the extended
partition, or the FreeBSD disk partitioner won't be able to see).
Then start the FreeBSD installation process and give the unused
space on your hard drive to FreeBSD to play with. I think it
doesn't matter where the free space is on your drive when using the
latest version of FreeBSD.

I'm not sure what you mean by "damaging" your other partition, but
I'm pretty sure Partition Magic will allow you to remove a logical
drive from the Extended partition and "shrink-wrap" the extended
partion around the remaining space without affecting the data on
them. Don't worry about the way the free space is divided among the various
things FreeBSD puts in it, the standard settings are supposed to be pretty
useful.

Cheers,

Eelke
--