Date:      Tue, 07 May 2002 07:08:19 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        mehrdad nosrati <mehrdad_b@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help Plz.

mehrdad nosrati wrote:
> 2)I want to use "ipfw" utility so I've added the following option to
>  it's kernel.Are them correct?If not what's the correct?
> options       IPFIREWALL
> options       IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
> options       "IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT"=1000
> options       IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
> config          kernel  root on wd0

Did you build and install the kernel and reboot according to these
instructions:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html
Did you then insert to the proper ipfw config lines in /etc/rc.conf,
see "man rc.conf". Something like the following will get you started:
firewall_enable="yes"
firewall_type="open"
Note that the "open" type isn't very secure, but you'll have to research
/etc/rc.firewall before you can really use any of the more secure
firewall types.

> 3)The following error message is another problem:
> icmp-response bandwidth limit 420/200 pps
> icmp-response bandwidth limit 420/200 pps
> icmp-response bandwidth limit 420/200 pps

This is not really an "error".  The system is designed to limit the rate
at wich it replies to ICMP messages (commonly "ping") to prevent DoS
attacks and other types of problems.  You'll see this message if you
or someone else tries to ping flood the machine, or port scan it with
something like nmap.  If you're not the one doing this, then you have
some sort of troublemaker on the network messing with the machine.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology