Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:31:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to share include files between kernel and userland?

Marco Molteni writes:
| I am writing a program to parse frames dumped to bpf by an, the
| aironet driver.
|
| I am using the latest patches by Doug Ambrisko, that allow the driver
| to dump not only the 802.11 frame but also the special Aironet header
| that the device prepends to the 802.11 frame, ie:
|
| aironet header | 802.11 frame
|
| Now, to my question with include files. The struct that describes the
| aironet header, an_rxframe, is in an/if_anreg.h, so I included
| if_anreg.h in my program. Among other things, if_anreg.h needs the
| definition of struct arpcom, which is in net/if_arp.h. Good, I
| included also net/if_arp.h, but the compiler still complained. It
| turns out that the definition of struct arpcom is guarded by
| #ifdef _KERNEL.
|
| So, what should I do? Define _KERNEL in my program, or copy the
| definition of struct an_rxframe directly in my C file? I hoped to find
| a third, more elegant solution.

Don't include that file only include if_aironet_ieee.h.  Really we should
install this file in the standard /usr/include tree so you don't need
the /sys tree around to build it and ancontrol.

I'll move the an_rxframe struct to if_aironet_ieee.h.  Note that
I'm not to sure how pcap is going to like my made up type.  If you send
my some sample code on dump the Aironet header I can test it for you
to make sure it works since I haven't got around to it.

There were some people interested in the Aironet header so I put something
together but never tried doing anything usefull with it.

Doug A.