Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:03:45 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Jason Hunt" <jason.hunt@niicommunications.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mail issue

> when I send mail from a machine that does not have a fully
> qualified domain name, I get the following error:
>
> root@xerxies.niicommunications.com>...
> Domain of sender address root@xerxies.niicommunications.com does not
exist)

> I thought entering  xerxies.niicommunications.com in
> /etc/mail/relay-domains would sove this problem,
> but it does not.  strangely, if I add it to /etc/hosts it
> does??  at anyrate, why does relay-domains not
> work?

relay-domains specifies domains that can relay mail through your server.
Due to the anti-spam measures in sendmail, anydomain in relay-domains must
be a valid domain.

If you add it to /etc/hosts, then you're essentially giving that domain an
IP, hence qualifying it, and sendmail will work as expected.

I would advise strongly against adding 'accept_unresolvable_domains" in your
.mc file as it opens up your servers to spam attacks, and would likely
result in your (public) mail server being blacklisted by ORBS and other such
services, rendering your mail server useless.

However, keep in mind that servers on the Intenet may refuse your mail if
they can't resolve the domain of the addresses, so setting up a
properly-configured DNS server for niicommunications.com would be a wise
thing to put on your todo list.

--
Matt Emmerton