Date:      14 Oct 2002 20:31:04 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Rogelio Rodriguez <rogelio@rogelior.dyndns.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (English) syntax question (handbook-related)

Rogelio Rodriguez <rogelio@rogelior.dyndns.org> writes:

> "Once you have travelled this far" acts like a conjunctive phrase (in
> this sentence) but there appears to be need for it.  A cursory reading
> reveals no
>
> errors but it is probably more correct (and easier to read) without it.

I have no idea what a conjunctive phrase is, but I agree that the
paragraph would be better without the clause.

The clause was probably meant to build on the prior use of the word
"explore", to lend a bit of "style" to the introduction.  It might be
grammatically correct, but I see three errors in it: 1) It should have
used "that" instead of "this", because "this" is most naturally read as
the point where "this" is used, not where one is located after working
through or exploring the first section.  2) The rest of the paragraph is
true even before "you have travelled this far", not just once you have
done so.  3) It seems disjointed and just doesn't read well, like you
implied.