Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:54:22 +0400
From:      Grigoriy Strokin <grg@philol.msu.ru>
To:        Thomas K?llmann <koellmann@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New kernel with its ATA drivers damages the filesystem

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 02:23:57PM +0200, Thomas K?llmann wrote:
> Grigoriy Strokin wrote/schrieb (Friday, March 31, 2000):
>
> | While the bug wiping out filesystems on machines with Apollo MVP3 when ATA
> | driver is in UDMA mode is being fixed, I suppose there at least should be some
> | note added to /usr/src/UPDATING, so that another users do not loss
> | all their data and have to reinitialize /usr and restore it from backup, as I
> | had to do?
> |
> | Something like that:
> |
> |     If you use the Apollo MVP3 chipset, it is STRONGLY
> |     recommended that you disable the use of DMA mode in ATA drivers
> |     BEFORE you try to boot the system after `make installkernel'.
> |     Add the following line:
> |       /sbin/sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio
> |     to the very beginning of your /etc/rc,
> |     ~root/.profile and ~root/.login.
> |     Be warned that if you don't disable the DMA mode,
> |     all your filesystems may be corrupted because
> |     of a bug in the driver that is still being fixed.
> |

> Please excuse if this was mentioned before (I did not follow this
> thread very closely), but isn't _not_ using
>
> 	options		ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA
>
> enough as a measure of precaution?
>
> This is from LINT:
>
> # ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA: enable DMA on ATAPI device, since many ATAPI
> # devices claim to support DMA but doesn't actually work, this is
> # not enabled as default.

Unfortunately, no.
I don't know whether this option affect anything,
because I was using the GENERIC kernel
in which this option is commented out, and nevertheless
dmesg reports using UDMA-33, and
       $ sysctl hw.atamodes
       hw.atamodes: dma,---,dma,---,
So, the *default* GENERIC kernel could corrupt the disk
as ever it is being booted for the first time.

--
=== Grigoriy Strokin, Lomonosov University (MGU), Moscow ===
=== contact info: http://isabase.philol.msu.ru/~grg/     ===