Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2013 08:50:09 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg MANIFEST documentation

--fWddYNRDgTk9wQGZ

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 06:34:31PM +1100, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> I am trying to create a package without first having a port, but I'm find=
ing it really hard.
>=20
> Firstly, the pkg MANIFEST format isn't well documented. For example:

That's on my TODO list to bring the documentation for MANIFEST into a compl=
ete
one

>=20
> 1. What is the syntax of "deps" when I want to depend on Java, but not sp=
ecify the version? I've tried this:
>=20
> deps:
>    javavmwrapper: {origin: java/javavmwrapper}

Here name and version are mandatory, this is to allow pkg add (used by the =
ports
tree, tinderbox and pointyhat) to be able to look at a package around the
package you want to install when doing pkg add ./yourpkg.txz it will try to=
 get
=2E/javawrapper-version.txz if exists.

Compatibility needed.

>=20
> but this is ignored with a warning.
>=20
>=20
> 2. Everything under "files:" and "directories:" appears to have full path=
s from root. If that is the case, how does the system adjust to a user's ow=
n choice of prefix? And what is the point of the "prefix:" option earlier i=
n the MANIFEST?
>=20
> 3. I see packages with this syntax:
>=20
> directories:
>    /var/db/something: y
>=20
> What does the "y" mean?
>=20

y =3D=3D try to delete while n =3D=3D to no try.

meaning when pkg delete is called when it tries to remove the /var/db/somet=
hing
if it fails and 'y' was given then it will not output a warning. But if 'n'=
 was
given then it will warn about it.
>=20
>=20
> Secondly, I am confused by the tar packaging itself. It appears that my p=
ackage only works if I build it using
>=20
>    tar Pf packge.tar /

Why are you trying to pack using tar and not pkg create directly?=20
>  =20
> Is the correct way to chroot to a folder, assemble all the files relative=
 to root and then tar in this way? Again, why doesn't pkg cope with relativ=
e tar pathing? Isn't that the whole point of 'prefix'?

Not at all package without prefix is broken by design because 90% of the
binaries will have hardcoded prefix. To install respecting chroot just pkg =
-c
/mychroot/ install mypkg

regards,
Bapt