Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 12:11:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Squires <msquires@sir-alan.chem.indiana.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: legality issue (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Steve Hovey -----

I think unix is an AT&T trademark - not sure

On Fri, 25 Jul 1980, Jamie Ostrowski wrote:

>    I have a question regarding the use of the word Unix. I recently started a domain called unix-laboratories.com, and am considering using that as a name for a small business. I am curious about any legal issues though. Is Unix a registered trademark? Where can I go to find more information? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Jamie Ostrowski

Our university (Indiana University) now is using Unix as a generic term for
UN*X like operating systems.  I asked if a copyright statement was required,
but was told that "Unix" was now in common use.

If anyone has a different answer, I'd like to know. ;-)

Mike Squires