Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 10:04:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: CVSup release identity

> >But releases are also taken from ongoing branches.  In any case, uname -r
> >on my machine now produces:
> >
> >2.2-STABLE-971004-19:45 PDT
> >
> >which is explicit in indicating the date and time at which cvsup began
> >downloading the sources.  That seems more informative than a code that
> >has to be translated into a date.
>
> Well, I would still get rid of the "-STABLE". I would also use Zulu time
> and convert it all to a number. Thus
>
> "FreeBSD 2.2 (9710050245)"

I agree with the deletion of the "STABLE" string; the other changes
would make it redundant.  As an aside, we could drop the "RELEASE"
string as well, for the same reason.

But I would argue for a sequence number, rather than a date/time.  In
two digits there are 3800 or so possible combinations of [A-z][0-9].
Just for economy, "2.2-BD" rings better to me, and eliminates worry
about time zones and daylight savings.

> However, the date/time stamp should be made when the source is extracted
> from the master source and not when YOU get a second or third generation
> copy from some distribution point.

Yes.  We would want the commit process to increment the counter.

> Richard Wackerbarth

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com