Date:      Mon, 03 Aug 1998 12:15:01 -0700
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS diskless booting (NFS root/swap) broken in -current?

>Do you have 'options NFS_ROOT' in your kernel config?

Yup, sure do.

>It might help to check the nfs_diskless_valid flag, and maybe dump the
>nfs_diskless structure just to see whether it's coming in correctly.
>The family is set by the bootstrap, so if it's not copied, it's not
>going to work.

It's set to 0 (not valid).  I'm dumping various structs out to see
what's going on.  So far, I've determined that netboot has initialized
bootinfo.bi_nfs_diskless to something but accessing that pointer
directly in cpu_rootconf() causes a crash, probably 'cause things have
already been mapped and that addr is inaccessible(?).  The pointer is
0x94320, but I don't know if it's OK yet.  The rest of bootinfo looks
OK (correct version at least).

nfs_diskless.swap_nblks is zero where it should be 0x8000, so
something's definitely wrong.  I'm printing out some more fields in
nfs_diskless to see if anything else is wrong there.  netboot is happy
with the freebsd.x.x.x.x file contents, displays the appropriate
messages, and finds root and swap just fine.

>Bruce's changes to the way the root filesystem is found *may* have
>something to do with this.

Perhaps - whatever's happening appears to be happening before this point, but I am continuing to dig into it...

	-- Parag