Date:      Sun, 5 Apr 1998 13:40:43 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
To:        blaz@gold.amis.net (Blaz Zupan)
Cc:        helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i4b-L1-F_ill:What is this? (fwd)

> > Does this trick work w/o I4B_SMP_WORKAROUND?
> > Please apply this patch:
>
> I was running a kernel with the patch and I4B_SMP_WORKAROUND yesterday
> without any trouble (except for the error messages that I already posted).
> Today I am running a kernel without I4B_SMP_WORKAROUND and it seems to
> work just the same, i.e. the workaround has absolutely no effect on the
> operation of i4b on my machine.
>
> So it seems like the patch fixed the problem. Now my questions is, is this
> patch only a "test" or can it be applied to the i4b source tree in the
> future, i.e. does it only work on my (and possibly some other machines)
> but breaks something on other machines? Is anybody else running the same
> patch without problems?

No, as far as I know. You need this patch because your ASCOM does not
accept an activation request after it issued a deactivation request,
as opposed to the NT the german telco supplied. Both NTs seem to
issue the deactivation request if layer2 is not activated
some time after layer1.

So I suggested to delay activation of layer1 until it is needed
and to initialize (i. e. send a TEI request) right after layer1 is
up. This is the effect of the patch I sent to you--at the cost of
an extra wait of 2 seconds.

For the time being don't expect that patch to be integrated into i4b.

But, if Hellmuth agrees, the initialization of all layers will be
delayed until triggered from userland. If this is done, you won't need
the patch anymore--and the SMP people won't need their workaround.

Thank you for your contribution,

Wolfgang