Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 17:05:18 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Matthew Reimer <mreimer@vpop.net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with disconnects and 2940UW (Justin?)

Matthew Reimer wrote:

> The machine is a PII 233MHz, Adaptec 2940UW, one IBM DCAS-34330W 4.3G UW
> SCSI disk, and 128M RAM. It is running 2.2-STABLE newer than 1 February
> 1998.

	I wish I had better news, but I have exactly the same drive and
controller and they work like a charm. There is an issue with adaptec
drives regarding the Plug and Play SCAM support. It runs a lot better
with it enabled. I have the following options set in my adaptec BIOS
(version 1.25):

Parity Enabled
Termination Auto
Device options:
Sync Yes
Transfer rate 40
Disconnection Yes
Wide Yes
Advanced options:
SCAM Enabled
Reset Enabled
Ultra Enabled

Here are my kernel config file options:

controller      ahc0

options AHC_TAGENABLE
options AHC_SCBPAGING_ENABLE
options AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO

controller    scbus0 at ahc0

disk sd0 at scbus0 target 6 <- This is the DCAS
disk sd1 at scbus0 target 5 <- This is a Zip drive in case it matters

	Also someone posted on a related thread that some of the DCAS drives
come with the DQUE jumper shorted, you might want to check that too. If
you need a BIOS upgrade it's available free from Adaptec, check out
their www page and find the link to mail support.

Hope this helps,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest