Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 1997 23:33:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dave Hummel <HUMMDN36@BUFFALOSTATE.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   re:normal ftp blah blah

     I suppose hostility form outsiders is inevitable. Fortunately I have
a little more patience than that. I have been drawn to FreeBSD (although I don't
completely know why) for about a year and a half. Two years ago I didn't even
know what an operating system was (the only reason I even got into computers is
that I found an XT on the sidewalk on garbage night).
     I sympathize with those who get frustrated (with the possible exception of
the author who started this thread). I am fully into the idea of a free OS, and
I have come to appreciate FreeBSD as much as a newbie can. I'm leading up to
this... it may be a good idea to have a FreeBSD-newbie list. I appreciate the
patience that gurus had had with me over my time on this list, but I've learned
that if I am confused about what's going on, there are usually others who are
just as confused.
        I understand that those of you who are knowlegeable don't have time to
answer questions like..."What the heck is FreeBSD?" etc...
        I think the potential for FreeBSD is great...there are many people who
are just too intimidated by the whole thing to get into it. There are people
who stumble onto your site who don't know anything about Unix/BSD, but have a
genuine interest. I say let's get as many supporters as possible. FreeBSD is a
great OS, but it's hard to get started for many people (I'm the only one at my
school that I know of (the rest are into Linux and SCO)).
        My idea is to let newbies answer other newbies' questions and have
someone moderate. That way there will be a forum for those of us who ask dumb
questions as well as those who are too afraid to ask dumb questions.
        Anyway...just thought I's throw that in. I'd thought of it before, but
it seems like now would be a good time.
Peace,
Dave

>> Is it too much to ask to have a normal ftp site, with the source distributions
>> organized by category, with the original source tar file and a patch file for BSD?
>
>Normal?? It is a very normal file tree. (You ar refering to that, not the
>site)
>
>> I found the source files in distributions, but I'm not sure if they contain the BSD
>> patches or not.  Not to mention the annoyance factor of having a single directory with
>> 700 files.
>
>What patches? There are no patches. But there are a CVS tree that you can
>use to get updates. Take a look att www.freebsd.org, in the hanbook you
>will find there.
>
>Where did you find that single directory with 700 files? The source dirs
>ar not built that way, and you can get parts of the source tree by just
>adding .tar to the directory that you want to get.
>
>> FTP sites have followed a general format for 20 years. Please don't try to "improve"
>> things by breaking them.
>
>What format? What FTP sites? I think that it is a very good file tree.

--Boundary_[ID_GY3aoxVWjk4juquuX1mW6Q]--