Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2001 13:39:54 -0700
From:      Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fastforwarding?

  > a stock freebsd system can't do more than 20K ~ 100K pkts/second due to
  > many bottlenecks

I'd be interested in knowing where those bottlenecks were and fixing them.
I currently hit the packets/sec limit running on gigabit ethernet cards, but
so far I've been blaming it on the relatively old firm-ware based Tigon II NIC
and not the BSD stack.

  > Even if it takes 0 ns to do a route lookup,

So are you saying route lookup is not the bottleneck?

  > So *overall* you are better off using a trie algorithm.

I'm thinking of the probability-shifted lc-trie algorithm described in
  http://klamath.stanford.edu/~pankaj/research.html
Do you have a better algorithm in mind?

							Jeffrey