Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 22:37:52 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Read this...

Greg Lehey wrote:

> One thing in particular occurred to me in this context: why does Sun
> want Linux or *BSD?   On the whole, Solaris <whatever number it is
> this week> is a pretty good operating system, and neither Linux nor
> *BSD can equal it.  What advantage would I have running FreeBSD on my
> UltraSparc?  Or should we be doing what NetBSD and OpenBSD are already
> doing and running it on older (32 bit) Sparc hardware?

That depends on which Sun you're talking about.  From the standpoint
of Sun Microelectronics, the branch of Sun that sells hardware to OEMs,
they would garner a royalty-free operating system that can be embeded
into systems with no licensing fees.  This would be a good incentive
for some markets they play in, most certainly telecommunications (i.e.
phone switches).